Summer is the official season of family reunions isn't it? Now some of us love catching up with long lost cousins and for others the thought of making conversation with old great aunt Ethel makes you want to cringe. (Those people usually don't go to family reunions) I recently went to a family reunion on my mom's side of the family and it was so much fun! I met some relatives for the very first time, have a new appreciation for family geneology research and caught up with some cousins that I haven't seen in years. It was fun, informative and nostalgic all at the same time! Here are my top 5 tips for making the most of your family reunion.
1. Take your camera (and take lots of photos, candids and those that are posed, get as many intergenerational photos as possible, they are worth pure gold down the road)
2. Take old photos, they can spark a conversation and help you connect with other people that might have new or different information from the person, place or event.
3. Have your contact information already written/printed out to make it easier to keep in touch with family members throughout the year!
4. If someone is compiling family information, buy the book/booklet that they are putting together. Family history and information can be facinating and links us to our past in a very unique way.
5. Show up with an empty stomach...there is always a TON of food!
Continue having a great summer and have fun at your next family reunion!